Local History Talks are held on the 3rd Thursday of the Month at 7.30pm at the Upper Norwood Library, Westow Hill SE19 1TJ. Free entry including refreshments but donations are appreciated.
A leaflet is available to download for Lambeth Walks 2016 (PDF)
- July 21st 2016, Crystal Palace to West Norwood via Gipsy Hill
Thursday evening walk of about 90 minutes with Alun Thomas
7.00 pm outside Sainsbury, Westow Street, SE19 3RW
- August 18th 2016, Church Road & The Triangle
Thursday evening walk of about 90 minutes with Richard Lines
7.00pm in front of All Saints Church, Beulah Hill, SE19 2QQ
Family and Local History Research
The Society's morning research group meets on the second and fourth Thursday of the month at 10am in the Upper Norwood Library. All are welcome to research family and local history using the library's unique collection.
Local History Meetings
- September 15th 2016, Dangerous Women of South London
In this talk about local suffragettes Ruth Miller will talk about the role of Emily Leaf from Norwood and Barbara Thomas will introduce further local campaigners including Leonora Tyson.
- October 20th 2016, Building Restoration, Conservation and Masonry
Nick Wilson from Stonewest, one of Britain's major restorer of historic buildings which is based at Crystal Palace, describes the techniques and challenges of his company's work.
- November 17th 2016, 900 Children lie in All Saints’ Churchyard
Stephen Oxford will talk about these pauper children and-their connection with Aubin, Dickens and Harden.
- December 15th 2016, Social evening with a local history flavour.