Local History Talks are held on the 3rd Thursday of the Month at 7.30pm at the Upper Norwood Library, Westow Hill SE19 1TJ
Free entry including refreshments but donations are appreciated.
Local History Meetings
- January 21st 2016 Some important Norwood residents you might not have heard of or know little about.
Stephen Oxford presents the many interesting people from the past he has uncovered in his research.
- February 18th 2016 'Wates in the woods' - a history of post war development on the Dulwich Estate'.
Dulwich Society chairman, Ian McInnes, returns with a more modern history of the Dulwich part of Upper Norwood.
- March 17th 2016 Margaret Lockwood
It is appropriate that the film historian Lucie Dutton will talk to us about the life of the actress Margaret Lockwood, who was a regular user of this library when she lived in Gipsy Hill.
- April 21st 2016 Out of the Borough Archives
Lindsay Ould, Croydon's archivist, will inform us of what is to be found in this part of Croydon, in addition to the many other resources within the Croydon Local Studies centre
- May 19th 2016 ‘Winifred Gérin: a writer’s life from Norwood to Haworth’
Gerin spent her childhood living on South Norwood Hill. She is an important biographer of the Bronte family, and Helen McEwan, who has recently published Gerin's biography, will talk about her work and her interesting family.
- June 16th 2016 Shopping at the Palace.
Alun Thomas explores the history of shopping around 'The Triangle'
- September 15th 2016 Lambeth Heritage Festival talk
- October 20th 2016 Building Restoration, Conservation and Masonry
Nick Wilson from Stonewest, one of Britain's major restorer of historic buildings which is based at Crystal Palace, describes the techniques and challenges of his company's work.
- November 17th 2016 Sydenham
The Sydenham Society's local history expert Steve Grindlay will talk about our near neighbour.
- December 15th 2016 Social evening with a local history flavour.